Friday, December 27, 2013

Trees I love

I am wondering... are there are any artists in the world who have not attempted to draw, paint, or make a woodblock print, or some other image of a tree?

The first thing I can remember painting is a tree.  Not very good, but my grandmother was impressed enough to frame it in an important gold antique frame.  My mother had it hanging in the dining room for years.  I now have it in a box in the garage, because I cannot bear to paint over my first painting.

My relationship with trees is both complex and spiritual.  For me they form a connection between the heavens and earth, reaching up to the sun, pointing to the Creator.

The artists who come to paint at my house are all busy learning to paint trees and just as there are no two trees alike, so their paintings differ dramatically as well.  Perhaps they will let me photograph their paintings in a few weeks, but for now, I thought I might share how some famous artist's see and render trees...

Georgia O'Keefe - Painting typical New Mexico trees






Emily Carr  - Painting Canadian trees


Maynard Dixon painting the trees of the Southwest...



Eyvind Earle distilling trees to their essence...












Vincent Van Gogh...










Paul Cezanne...




 




Andrew Wyeth....



Tired of looking at paintings of trees?  Me too.  Time to look at some real ones!
However if you want to see some more visit my Pinterest page... Trees

3 comments:

  1. Cool post, Heather. I love the Van Goghs as much as the Wyeths.

    I've been thinking you; I know you must be missing Roz and mom. Tough holidays, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love every one of these. Funnily enough I had a dream the a friend of mine who owns a gallery in New York sent me a painting of a tree. And then a package came from him! It was not a tree painting, though it was a lovely gardening book.

    You have just satisfied my cravings.

    xo J

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heather,

    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog! Beautiful paintings of trees. I must say I like the ones by Vincent van Gogh very much. He almost makes them come alive!

    Wishing you and your family a Happy, Healthy and Creative New Year!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please let me know you visited.