Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Uphostering a Wing Chair in Miniature & a Dollar Store Score!

How hard can it be to make a little wing chair?  Especially since I found a little kit at one of my favorite antique stores.  My sister was with me and she patiently checked to make sure all the pieces were included since the company that makes it is no longer in business and I could not order a new part.  Sure enough, one of the legs was missing.  Well how hard can it be to carve a new little leg?  Really, really hard! However, I soldiered on and glued up the frame.

Next up was cutting and gluing on the leather to the seat.  After several attempts with a little piece of "pleather".  I decided I would buy a chair instead.  Off to Esty to discover I was going to have to spend at least $40 on a wing chair.  Yikes, maybe Snape could have a kitchen chair in his office!  

On to other projects, like building four lab tables for the Potions classroom.  Browsing at the Dollar Store, I found these little tables for $1.00 each. 

They are not quite big enough, but cutting a new larger top will be much easier than making, from scratch, four tables.  And of course painting them will help as well.
And that little Chippendale wing chair?  

Well, I located some paper that looked like leather and found it much easier to work with, so here it is.
 Several bad words where uttered making this little beauty and I just have to admit that $40 no longer sounds like too much to charge.  I wouldn't sell this one at all!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely amazing, Mom. I think you have a future in doll house furniture making! Or designing for that matter.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please let me know you visited.