Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cool on the Mountain-Time to Bake

Crown roast of beef with grapes and mandarin oranges. 
All summer I have avoided the oven like the plague, but with the cooler weather my thoughts have returned to cooking.  Cheesecakes, chocolate layer cakes, fudge, a whole roasted pig, some roasted turkeys, mashed potatoes, green beans, molded gelatin's and a crown roast!  You see, I have to feed a school full of hungry young witches and wizards and the house elves are frolicking at the State Fair.  They are in charge of guarding my miniature Dumbledore's office and my third place ribbon...


One of the tables for the Great Hall of Hogwarts

Since I had never made any miniature food before, I turned to the Internet to find out how to go about it. Wow! there are lots of artists out there creating mini masterpieces! I will soon be creating a new page where you can find some of my favorite miniature artists, so check back if you are interested.

Roast suckling pig with pineapple and mushrooms.
Triple layered mocha cake with whipped cream and cherries on a silver cake stand made from a hexagonal button, silver bead, and a base made from a washer.  Lime cheesecake with whipped cream on a wooden button platter.  Roast turkey and cranberries on a button platter.  Tutorial here.
Miniature pumpkin pasties on an antique bone button platter.  Pewter plates make of sculpy and painted silver.  Goblets made of earring backs and beads.
Green beans with butter on a shell shaped charm.
Asparagus with lemon slices and a lemon meringue pie.
  Totally forgetting food for the professor's table (maybe because I have not yet built the table!) next I think I will try making some whole grilled salmon, a baked ham, artichokes, roasted red potatoes, and maybe chocolate mousse in miniature glass goblets or a trifle if I can find a straight sided miniature glass bowl.  I found three darling little chairs for some of the professor's places in the Great Hall when I was out and about vintage store browsing...
Professor's chairs pictured here with Dumbledore's podium and the little gargoyles that will eventually be hung on the walls of the Great Hall to be torch bearers.
Hufflepuff Gargoyle

1 comment:

  1. Unbelievable! They all look good enough to eat...so realistic.

    It fun how the camera can deceive. That photo down the table looks so real.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please let me know you visited.