Monday, September 10, 2012

Out and About in Albuquerque- An Art Show & Fine Dining in a Bowling Alley?

Last Friday, I invited my sister and my friend Molly to an art show that opened at the Gallery at St. Michael and All Angels Episcopal church.  We decided to have dinner first.  What would be close to the Gallery?  An unlikely choice was Ezra's Place which is housed in a bowling alley.  Despite its humble abode, Ezra's Place, owned and operated by chef Dennis Apodaca has garnered raves among the food critics in Albuquerque.  I have eaten there many times and always thoroughly enjoyed the experience.  You can sit along the windows that overlook the bowling alley if you think the conversations in your group might lag. Or at the tables covered with white cloths and enjoy the artwork lining the walls which is where we should have sat on Friday, as our conversation was really lively, and our laughter much too loud or the folks sitting in the booth behind us!

I have to confess that Friday night at Ezra's was a bit of a disappointment. The current artwork was not too inspiring and my sister's free range chicken in mushroom risotto was much too salty.  

However, my salmon special was outstanding,

and Molly enjoyed her duck enchiladas.

 The service was very attentive and friendly.  Since I have often enjoyed wonderful meals here, I am still recommending Ezra's Place and it's sister restaurant, Sophia's Place (housed, if we are honest, pretty much in a shack down the street.) 


  • Sophia's Place, 6313 Fourth NW, Los Ranchos, NM; (505)345-3935. Breakfast and lunch only, seven days a week.
  • Ezra's Place, 6132 Fourth NW, Albuquerque, NM, in the Lucky 66 bowling alley; (505)344-1917. Lunch and dinner, seven days. 
The second half of the evening was a treat as we really enjoyed the photographs by Steve Shelley and Lincoln Draper.

 My sister and I have known Steve for many years, although we did not find out that the other knew him, each of us from a different context.  Rosalind and her husband, met Steve and his wife at a yoga retreat in Mexico.  I know Steve through work in the church.  Steve's son, Luther, worked for me as one of my favorite counselors at Camp Stoney.  Steve is a multi-talented person.  Besides being a photographer, he owns and operates a landscaping firm, Steve Shelley Landscapes which you can see here.

Here are a couple of images which I copied from his website just to encourage you to go and see the show.  Remember that these images are copyrighted and may not be used without his permission.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please let me know you visited.